Monday, October 19, 2009

Sugar Cleanse - Day One

Just a quick post today, as I'm hoping to get to bed early. I haven't slept enough for a few days and it's starting to take it's toll.

Mom and I started the Reset Cleanse today. So far, so good. It consists of 3 shakes, 2 bars, a piece of fruit and a veggie or two - and lots of water. There was a dvd to go with it, but I haven't actually watched it yet. You also take 2 fistfulls of minerals and antioxidants - one mid-morning and one with dinner. The shakes are filling and everything tastes ok. I can't say I was craving sugar at all today. Was pretty busy, so didn't really miss "eating" all that much. Can't imagine that 4 more days of this will be too hard. Think I might be craving protein by the end of it, though - after Yoga today I was dying for a hard boiled egg!

After the cleanse there is a weight-loss or maintenance program you can go on with 1-2 real meals as well as the meal replacements and snacks. I've been trying to reconcile how eating this way fits into the idea of eating healthy, nourishing, whole foods. As much nutrients as are in these shakes and bars and as well-balanced and low calorie and GI as they might be, they are still artificial, manufactured "foods." I just don't know if this would adequately teach me how to eat properly or if it's the best thing for me in the long run. And I was surprised to see the first ingredient in the shakes is fructose. However, if this program really can increase my insulin sensitivity and help me to manage my PCOS (and therefore give me shorter, more regular cycles so we have a better chance of conceiving), then shouldn't I consider it?

I'm off to see my doctor of TCM on Wednesday for the first time since we found out we conceived. I will see what he has to say about my eating, since I know nutrition is a key part of dealing with this syndrome. I'll bring in the packaging for the cleanse in so he can see what's in it. If he thinks it could be helpful, then I will consider doing a shake and/or a bar every morning and two real meals. But, if I can learn to do the same thing using actual food, then I think I should try to do that - even if it is more work. I'm sure it'll be more sustainable over the long term - and probably much more satisfying.

I will continue to update on how I'm doing on this cleanse for the rest of the week. Biggest thing I've noticed today is how much I'm having to pee. Oh, and I was hungry by dinner time, but that's probably cause I didn't eat until almost 8 so I could go to yoga after work.

Okay - now it's bed time.

Sweet dream,
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment